Throw a DIY pizza party for all your vegan friends with this delicious plant-based pizza recipe. Creamed sweetcorn makes a great saucy base for fried paprika mushrooms
- 250g strong white bread flour
- 1 tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- dried chilli flakes a pinch
- 195g sweetcorn drained
- 50ml vegetable stock
- 400g chestnut mushrooms thickly sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 red onion halved and thinly sliced
- a handful of basil leaves chopped
- Put the flour, yeast and sea salt in a bowl. Measure out 125ml of warm water then stir in the sugar and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Gradually add this liquid to the flour, mixing until it forms a dough (you might not need all of the liquid). Tip onto a lightly oiled worksurface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Put the dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to prove somewhere warm for 1 hour.
- To make the topping, fry the garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes then add the chilli flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add the sweetcorn and cook, stirring, until heated through. Tip into a high-powered blender and whizz, adding a little stock, until you have a creamy consistency.
- Fry the mushrooms in another pan with a splash of olive oil and lots of seasoning, until the liquid has evaporated and they’re starting to crisp. Sprinkle over the paprika, toss and take off the heat.
- Knock the dough back and divide in half. Roll and gently pull each piece out into a 26cm pizza base on sheets of baking paper.
- Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Put two heavy baking sheets on shelves near the top of the oven and leave them to heat for at least 10 minutes.
- To finish the pizzas, spread the sweetcorn cream over the bases, leaving a 2cm border around the edges. Top with the mushrooms and the red onion. Lift each baking paper sheet with the topped pizzas onto the heated baking trays. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until the bases are crisp and tops bubbling. Scatter with basil, drizzle with a little more oil then cut into slices to serve.