Servings: 4 people
For the Tofu
- 400g firm or extra-firm tofu
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour use rice flour for gluten-free
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 6 fresh or frozen curry Leaves chopped (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp soy sauce tamari for gluten-free
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp water
For the Sauce
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1-2 hot green chilies such as serrano , sliced thin
- 10 curry leaves
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 small red onion sliced
- 1 tbsp sriracha or sambal oelek or a mix of both use less for less heat
- 1 tbsp soy sauce tamari for gluten-free
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 200ml water
- In a large bowl, add flour, cornstarch, curry leaves, paprika, cayenne, garlic, salt and ginger. Add lemon, soy sauce and water to make a thick batter.
- Add tofu and toss to coat. Spread on parchment lined baking sheet or dish, Spray oil, bake at 400 deg F (205 C) for 20 mins.
- Sauce: Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add chilies and cook for a minute, then add curry leaves and garlic and cook for 1 minute or until just about translucent.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook until onion is golden on some edges. Add sauces, black pepper, salt and sugar and mix well.
- Mix cornstarch in 1/2 cup water. Add the water cornstarch slurry to the pan and bring to a boil to thicken.
- Fold in the baked tofu lightly and take off heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice or grains.
Store: Refrigerate the cooked tofu 65 for upto 3 days. Make ahead: You can bake the battered tofu ahead. The sauce tends to thickene on sotring, so make the sauce fresh and add baked tofu or baked veggies to serve. Soy-free: To make this without Tofu, use cauliflower for Cauliflower 65(bake cauliflower for 30 mins) or seitan or rehydrated soycurls for chickin 65. Use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce. Gluten-free: Use rice flour in the batter instead of all purpose flour. Use tamari instead of soy sauce. Scale up: This recipe is easily doubled. Just use lesser heat ingredients when scaling and add more as needed. More Sauce: this is a sticky sauce version(dry-ish tofu 65). For saucier, double the sauce ingredients. Use 1.25 cups of water. Curry Leaves: fresh curry leaves can be found in Indian stores. Fresh and dried curry leaves can be found on amazon and some grocery stores. You can freeze fresh curry leaves for upto 1 year and use then instead of fresh. They retain more flavor than dried. Omit if you cant find them.